Choosing Acrylic Paints
Acrylic hobby and art paints can be diluted with water, but become water-resistant when dry. Depending on how much the paint is diluted (with water) or modified with acrylic gels, media, or pastes, the finished acrylic painting can resemble a watercolor or an oil painting, or have its own unique characteristics not attainable with other media (Wikipedia definition).
You can paint acrylic paints directly onto wood, canvas, paper, cardboard, papier mache and if you use a primer and scour the surface first, also plastic and metal. Add a textile medium and you can even use it on fabric. Wash brushes with water while the paint is wet. When dry, acrylic paint is generally non-removable from a solid surface. Water or mild solvents do not re-solubilize it, although isopropyl alcohol can lift some fresh paint films off. Toluene and acetone can remove paint films, but they do not lift paint stains very well and are not selective. The use of a solvent to remove paint may result in removal of all of the paint layers, acrylic gesso, etc. Oils can remove acrylic paint from skin. (Wikipedia)
Whether you are a fine artist or a general hobbyist or crafter, Craftmill has a wide range of acrylic paints to suit all needs and at fantastic prices. You can be assured of unbeatable prices and excellent delivery service with a wide range of standard acrylic paints plus specialist pearl, glitter and fluorescent paints. Metallic paints come in a range of sizes from 20ml to 500ml mega pots!
- Firstly, top of the range large 120ml tubes of Fine Artist Acrylic Paints, equal in quality to System 3 but at HALF THE PRICE. We are now also stocking the 500ml bottles in a full range of Fine artist colours.
- Secondly, for the general artist or hobby use, we also have a vast range of quality Acrylic Hobby and Artist Paints – around 58 colours. These Acrylic paints are very competitively priced yet our testing demonstrates that they are equal to the best in quality and pigment loading of any hobby acrylic paints in the U.K. The colours are intense and remain bright and use permanent long lived pigments.
- Our third range is again for general artist or craft use. These are Specialist Acrylic hobby and artist paints (ie the unusual ones!). These specialist acrylic paints include Metallic Acrylic Paint, Glitter Acrylic Paint, Pearl Acrylic Paints, Fluorescent Acrylic Paints and Irridescent Acrylic Paints. When you think about Irridescent paints think of see through Fairy or Dragonfly wings.
All of our acrylic paints can be bought in multi pack quantities for ease of buying.
Acrylic Enamel Airbrush Paints
Our high pigment loading non toxic airbrush craft paints adhere to a massive range of surfaces including plastic, metal, wood, glass, ceramic, card and porcelain. Bulk buy offer – 5 bottles for the price of 4 on all airbrush paints.
These paints are regularly used by bikers for plastic helmets, metal tanks, model aircraft builders on various surfaces like polystyrene and wood. We always advise to use an undercoat especially on absorbent surfaces otherwise the airbrush paint soaks away and you end up using loads of it. To thin the airbrush paints, just gradually add droplets of water!
Many crafts also require reliable top quality acrylic varnish to complete the job. Craftmill offers branded varnish such as Sculpey Studio polymer clay varnish plus our own range of varnishes which are widely tested and approved by crafters throughout the UK. Our c lear Acrylic varnish is available in GLOSS, SATIN OR MATT Varnish and is suitable for all types of Art, Craft and Clay. There are 3 PACK SIZES of acrylic craft varnish. AND we now stock polyurethane gloss varnish.
When it is dry it is water resistant and transparent:
- Acrylic varnish can be used on all kinds of air dry, oven cured or kiln baked clays. It can also be used over acrylic paint to give added protection and to enhance the colours.
- You can use Acrylic Varnish to seal and enhance Polyurethane resin castings and plaster of paris.
- You can use Acrylic varnish to seal and enhance polystyrene products.
- Add a durable seal or finish to baked polymer clay items with these compatible acrylic water-based varnish finishes.
- Our POLYURETHANE water based varnish is for hard wearing applications – it is the toughest varnish